Listen to music

Monday, January 26, 2009

:|: MHO :|: Mini Aquarium


Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org







Rony Suzuki's Bird-Feeder Aquarium.

This aquarium was born in response to a challenge: when recent news came out on the discovery of the smallest fish in the world, a friend from our forum commented "I'm thinking that if this fish ever gets commercialized, Rony is bound to make a setup that'll need a magnifying lens." Well, here it is... ;-)

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

The aquarium was set up using a plastic bird-feeder pot that goes into bird cages, it has around 100 ml of nominal volume, probably half of that effectively. It has sand substrate, a few "boulders" (haha) and the flora is composed of Hemianthus callitrichoides and Java Moss.

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Fábio Yoshida's Light-Bulb Aquarium

The other day I was at home, just looking at the ceiling, when I had a great idea! So I stopped by Rony's place to get some pool filter sand. Then went to my little Anubias corner in my planted tank and tried to choose a nice little cutting. I put it all together with my idea, and here's what it turned into! :-)

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Setup: October'05.
Aquarium: 250 W Light Bulb.
Dimensions: ~79 mm in diameter.
Volume: ~250 ml.
Substrate: pool filter sand.
Fertilization: Tetra Flora Pride administered sporadically.
Lighting: indirect, but applied directly a few days a week.
Flora: Anubias nana.

The setup didn't take too long to be completed, it was even quick, I think about 3 or 4 hours in total. The bulb was opened by the metal part. In this case the metal ended up detaching from the glass bulb, which made my setup job really easy. I opened it by carefully breaking the glass part that goes together with the metal, where it touches the bottom of the socket, thus I made an opening through which I removed the "inner parts" of the bulb and gained access to its interior. I didn't add a fertile layer to the substrate in fear that I wouldn't be able to reach stability due to the small size. I did think about putting some fauna in it (not fish) but I decided against it when I thought about how little space the inhabitant would have, and the tiny surface area. I thought it'd be cruel, but I don't know, maybe a snail would work.

Right now the setup is on a shelf right beside one of my aquariums, from which it receives a bit of indirect lighting. I had some problems with brown algae and cyanobacteria, but more out of laziness than anything else. With the brown algae I even had to dismantle everything and restart it, but now I'm taking better care and everything's OK. I sincerely hope it will last a reasonably long time. The plant has been growing well and started shooting some roots, I just don't know what I'm going to do if it grows more than expected...I'll either have to try and remove it the same way it entered or else do it the more drastic way.

Fábio Yoshida's Flower-Tube Aquarium

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Aquarium: Flower tube with stand.
Dimensions: 140x37 mm cylinder.
Volume: ~150 ml (nominal).
Substrate: pool filter sand.
Fertilization: Tetra Flora Pride administered sporadically.
Lighting: indirect (beside my planted tank).
Flora: Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

Once I told my sister about a type of setup I'd been planning, then the other day she stopped by a home depot, bought a cheap flower holder and came over to ask me if it was suitable for the setup I wanted. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I gave it some thought and came up with a setup that might look good. I planted using a Nisso aquarium tweezer that my sister brought me from Japan. This setup was MUCH easier to plant than the bulb, since the tank's "mouth" is larger than the bulb's.

About the blue background...it's a blue bed sheet that I taped to a corned formed by an aquarium and a wardrobe. A very simple thing to do which nonetheless looks really good for presentation. As for the lighting for the photos, I used a PC light strip. I also put a led spotlight directly over the mouth. Under normal daily conditions these setups get only the indirect light from my main planted tank beside them, this helps me keep control the algae and since the plants are undemanding there's no problem. I hope you like it, to me it came out a nice setup.

Rony Suzuki's Cracker-Box Paludarium

I had initially decided to grow some more Hemianthus callitrichoides, and for that I bought this really nice plastic pot for storing crackers. I added garden soil, earthworm compost, covered it with pool filter sand, filled with water and planted a few cuttings of Hemianthus. Since there was some space left I decided to put in a bit of moss as well. There was still some space to put in a Hydrocotyle sp., and I also took the opportunity to add a few shoots of Eleocharis parvula. Even with all those plants there was still a bit of room for Eleocharis sp., for another type of moss, and for the Ricciocarpus. When I was done, it ended up turning into this. The poor Hemianthus ended up not having any space left to grow... :-)

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Fancy Helmets
Geeta Basra ( Bomb Shell ) Guys Check Out
Photos - Love Story (+16)
Fashionable Panties Mini Skirts  Cute Dolls
Kingfisher Swimsuit Calendar Launch
Fashion For Woman - Beautiful Dresses
A Group By

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org

Visit Us @ www.MumbaiHangOut.Org


__._,_.___
Visit Our WebSite : www.MumbaiHangout.Org

             Forum : www.MumbaiHangout.net
------------------
DISCLAIMER :
------------------


This message serves informational purposes only and should not be viewed as an irrevocable indenture between anyone. If you have erroneously received this message, please delete it immediately and notify the sender at MumbaiHangOut-Owner@yahoogroups.com. The recipient acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those of the Individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of The M.H.O. Group. M.H.O. reserves the right to repeal, change, amend, modify, add, or withdraw the contents herein without notice or obligation.
---------------------------------------------------
Note:- MHO is Not Responsible For Any Claims.
---------------------------------------------------
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Messenger

All together now

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Yahoo! Groups

Stay healthy

and discover other

people who can help.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

.

__,_._,___

No comments: